Bank of China,
Anti-Money Laundering
System Redesign
INTERVIEW    Contextual Inquiry  WirefraME    
PROTOTYPE    PRODUCT MANAGEMENT    USABILITY TESTING

Project Summary

Anti-Money Laundering(AML) system is a self-developed system of Bank of China, New York Branch. It helps analysts monitor, manage, review, and report transaction data to avoid risks in the business.

In this project, we redesigned the AML system for the business department to help analysts review the transaction data. The project needs multiple departments' collaboration. I was the main UX designer in the project.

My ROLE

As a UX designer, my role was to redesign the system to fit the requirements of varies departments. I negotiated with different stakeholders, interviewed and conducted contextual inquiries with analysts, made high-fi prototype, and help developers understand users' requirements.

Due to information confidentiality, I am not able to show details of my work here. Even though I show some sketches and prototypes here, the most important job I did was communicatiing and coordinating. It will be my pleasure to have the opportunity to share my experience with you in person.

Before the Design

Before applying the system, analysts in the bank can only use dozens of Excel to manage and review the transaction data. Multiple Excel makes the work messy and hard to manage. The department works with low efficiency and high risk.

Wireframes

I interviewed analysts, went to their desks, and observed them reviewing transaction data. During the interview and contextual inquiry, I understood their workflow and determined the priority of different phases. Based on the research, I made wireframes and conducted evaluation with analysts to identify problems in the design.

Prototype

Digital prototypes were made after users evaluated wireframes. I demonstrated the prototype to analysts and their department head and discussed potential improvements with them. Meanwhile, I explain features in the prototype to developers in my team and help them understand the users' needs. When some features were infeasible, I also negotiated with the department head to make some trade-offs.

Reflection

As the main UX designer in the team, I found that making wireframes and prototype was not the most time-consuming work. Different from school projects, the most important job of this project is to communicate with multiple roles in the projects. Clients are from different departments, having different backgrounds, and even speaking different languages. Thus, let them understand each other and agree on my design is not an easy job. The business department may bring you a new requirement or developers tell you a feature is not feasible. These situations happened a lot. Fortunately, I found I was pretty good at making balance and negotiating with different stakeholders. I believe this experience could benefit me a lot in my future career.